Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Wastes are products that are purchased for use in or around the home, that when discarded, may threaten human health or the environment if disposed of improperly.  These products can include; household cleaners; deodorizers; personal hygiene products; pesticides; herbicides; insecticides; pet care products; paint products; photographic chemicals; swimming pool chemicals; and automotive products & fluids.

Even though a product can be easily purchased at the local store, it can still be harmful to you, your family and the environment. To identify these products, check the label on the container for key words, such as:


Disposing of household hazardous waste in your trash or dumping them down storm drains or into sewer and septic systems can be dangerous to your health, the health of others and the environment.   Thrown into your trash can, they can pose a threat to refuse collectors and workers. Dumped onto the ground or street, these type of materials can be absorbed into the ground water supply, enter storm drains and eventually lead to the Kern River.


  • Only buy what you can use.
  • Share leftovers with friends, neighbors, etc.
  • Recycle used motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, car batteries and latex paint.
  • Buy safer alternatives to hazardous household products.
  • Store unused products in a safe, dry, cool place. 
  • Follow label directions.
  • Call (661)862-8922 to find out about HHW collections.

For legal disposal of residential household hazardous waste, bring it to:

KC Special Waste Facility Map

The Kern County Special Waste Facility is located in Bakersfield at 4951 Standard Street. It is at the southwest corner of Standard and Foster Streets.

Hours: Thursday, Friday, Saturday    8 am - 4 pm 




Mojave Special Waste Facility Map

The Kern County Special Waste Facility Eastern Region is located in Mojave at 17035 Finnin Street at the Mojave Airport. It is at the southwest corner of Finnin & Sabovich Streets. (Click for Map)

Hours: First Saturday of every month  9 am - noon



Mojave Location Dates
January 2, 2010
May 1, 2010
September 4, 2010
February 6, 2010
June 5, 2010
October 2, 2010
March 6, 2010
July 3, 2010
November 6, 2010
April 3, 2010
August 7, 2010
December 4, 2010

The Kern County Special Waste Facility - Ridgecrest is located at

3301 W. Bowman Road at the Ridgecrest Landfill.
Hours: 2nd Saturday of each month 10am – 1pm.

Ridgecrest Location Dates

January 9, 2010

May 8, 2010

September 11, 2010

February 13, 2010

June 12, 2010

October 9, 2010

March 13, 2010

July 10, 2010

November 13, 2010

April 10, 2010

August 14, 2010

December 11, 2010

Transportation Guidelines for Residents:

  • A maximum of 125 pounds of waste/material, may be transported per vehicle per visit.
  • The contents of any single container of waste/material may not exceed five gallons.
  • Do not mix waste/material.
  • Containers must be closed, labeled, and not leaking.
  • Kern County residents only.

Ask about our new "Stop and Shop" Program  (661) 862-8922

One-Day Household Hazardous Waste Collection 

As part of the Department’s cost cutting measures, the one-day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events in the outlying areas have been cancelled until July 2010. The Bakersfield, Mojave and Ridgecrest Special Waste Facilities will continue to provide hazardous waste recycling and disposal services to residents and businesses during their normal operating days and hours.


Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal

Click link below to find guidelines and transportation rules for small business quantity generators.

Instructions and Guidelines for Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal



Medical Waste

If you have a question regarding how to correctly dispose of home- generated medical waste, please call Kern County Environmental Health Services at  (661) 862-8700.

Sharps Disposal Program

Improper disposal of used "sharps" (needles, syringes and lancets) can injure children, home health care providers, sanitation workers and pets. Now there is a safe solution!

  • Bring your used sharps to one of the two Kern County Special Waste Facility locations for proper and convenient disposal. Free "Biohazard" rigid plastic sharps containers are available at the collection facilities for you to use at home. For safety reasons sharps will not be accepted in liquid detergent bottles, bleach bottles, coffee cans, glass containers, milk jugs or soda bottles.
  • Sharps should be placed into a container immediately after use. Do not attempt to remove, bend, break or recap the needle. Keep all sharps and disposal containers out of reach of children. For more information call (661) 862-8922 OR (800) 552-KERN, option 6. This program is for home generated sharps only - NO BUSINESSES.



For legal disposal instructions, please contact the Kern County Sheriff’s Department at (661) 861-3110.

Pesticide Containers (Commercial)

The triple-rinsed pesticide container program for the Central Valley region is now administered by Western Ag Plastics at (661) 721-3247. Kern County Waste Management, in conjunction with the Agriculture Department, will continue to administer the program in Ridgecrest. Contact us at (661) 862-8900 for more detail. 

  • Pesticide Bags: Bags will no longer be accepted into the recycling program. Empty bags must be bundled and tied and may be disposed at the Bena, Shafter-Wasco or Ridgecrest Landfill for $40.50/ton.


  • Friable: (material crumbles easily) Not Accepted
  • Non-friable asbestos: (material not easily broken) Double bagged and accepted by appointment with Kern County Waste Management Department at (661) 862-8900. Hours of acceptance are as follows:

1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month
Call # below
9:00 a.m.
For Bena appointment, please call WMD at (661) 862-8900.
17 miles east of Bakersfield, off  Hwy. 58 at Tower Line Road
Monday through Thursday
Call # below
Before 11:00 a.m.
For Ridgecrest appointment, please call  (661) 862-8900
5 miles southwest of Ridgecrest, at 3301 Bowman Road

Back to Top

For technical questions and comments regarding this website,
please contact the Webmaster.